The Raid: Redemption was a spectacular American debut for director Gareth Evans, so needless to say that expectations are high for his sequel film, Berandal. But for those who have only been loosely following this hit Indonesian martial arts franchise, you should be aware that The Raid 2 isn’t the final chapter of the story: this thing has been planned as a trilogy from the outset.
So The Raid 3 is already in the planning stages, and now, thanks to Evans himself, we have some early details about what the third chapter will be about.
WARNING – SPOILERS for The Raid: Redemption Follow!
However, the corrupt police officials that first manipulated Rama’s squad into Tama’s trap are still at large, and Rama learned that survival had only bought him a slightly extended lease on life, as he would be a marked man after the Tama operation.
Evans previously revealed that The Raid 2 would begin immediately after the first film, and the Berandal trailer revealed that this will indeed be the case – and that Rama will be in for a bigger, badder and bloodier battle than the one he just escaped.
A plot synopsis for the sequel further details how Rama will go deep cover into the prison system to befriend the son of the city’s crime boss as a means of ferreting out corruption – so where does that leave The Raid 3?
According to Evans’ Tweets about the two sequels (which were compiled by Dark Horizons):
- The [Raid 2] trailer is 2min 35sec and with the exception of one shot, it’s all new footage from the teaser. Only spoilers for Act 1 setup.
- Naturally, there’s a ton of stuff we have kept hidden from the trailer. About 4/5 action scenes don’t feature at all.
- I also wanted to put less emphasis on the brutality – this is the closest I could get to a green band version.
- The final shot is a tease – that fight I still get goosebumps watching it. Iko and Cecep gave everything they had for it.
- “The Raid 2″ takes place two hours after the first, “The Raid 3″ would start two hours before “The Raid 2″ ends.
- We spent 1.5 months just designing the final fight. That’s the most complex we have done so far. Another 3-4 weeks on pre vis. Still a lot of work to do.
- We had a 3min 45s Steadicam scene in a club but we cut it for pacing reasons. All deleted scenes will be on Blu-Ray/DVD. I’ll do a commentary track, hopefully this one will be more interesting.
Above article from www.screenrant.com website.